What is the best MCAT test prep books for self study?
There are several MCAT prep books from big brand names publishers like Kaplan, Princeton Review, Examcrackers, etc. I’m, not sure where to get started. Is it possible to get a list of Best MCAT books for self stud? I will be taking MCAT in September, 2012. – By John.
John, you are right. There are several MCAT test prep books. It’s not possible to buy several MCAT test prep books. They are expensive. Even the used MCAT test prep books for self study are expensive.
Based on your study plan, you may have to buy few ( three or more) MCAT prep books for self study.
Official MCAT Prep Books 2012
Best MCAT Books for Self Study
Following books are required to improve skills for various sections. Depending on your weak/strong section, you may need few from best MCAT prep books.
- Kaplan MCAT - Complete 5-Book Series
- Examkrackers MCAT Complete Study Package
- Cracking the MCAT, 2012
- Barrons MCAT
Top MCAT Books – Sections
- Examkrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning
- Examkrackers MCAT Biology
- Examkrackers 1001 Questions in MCAT Chemistry
- Examkrackers 1001 Questions in MCAT Biology
- Examkrackers 1001 Questions MCAT Organic Chemistry
- Examkrackers 1001 Questions MCAT Physics
Best MCAT Prep Books
Here is a quick summary of Best MCAT books for self study.
- Verbal: EK Verbal & Math, EK 101 passages, PR Verbal Workbook
- Biological, Biology: Kaplan Comprehensive, EK Bio, PR or Kaplan Workbook
- Biological, Organic: EK O-Chem, PR/Kaplan Workbook, Kaplan or EK flashcards
- Physical, Chemistry: Kaplan Comprehensive, EK Chem, PR/Kaplan Workbook
- Physical, Physics: EK Physics and Nova Physics (Biehle), PR/Kaplan Workbook
- Writing: Kaplan Comprehensive or Kaplan 45 (better), Global Issues, free list of MCAT practice prompts on AAMC’s webpage
- Tests: AAMC 3R, 4R, 5R, 6R. EK if you need more general practice. The Official Guide to the MCAT Exam
Which MCAT books did you finally decide to buy?
Official MCAT Study Guide – Review (Amazon)
I’ve been using this book for about 2 weeks now, and have learned a ton from it.
There are great test-taking tips and what I was very happy with was the way the material in the book is arranged. If you go on the AAMC website and look for the MCAT content outline for each portion of the test, it’s in the same order as the material in the Barron’s book, so you don’t have to jump around topics.
They really did a great job with this edition and quite frankly for the price it’s a steal.
The practice questions are reasonable and some are pretty challenging. Highly recommended. Haven’t looked at the practice exams yet.