While you are going to school in USA as an international student, you need to save every possible penny. Study in USA is expensive. Make sure you have a good idea about expenses.
Cost of living is major factor when selecting university.
Also, students life style is much different from people who work full time. Here’s the breakdown of typical monthly student expenses and list gives an average of many cities, if student happen to study in LA, it will be more expensive.
Cost of Living in LA
- Apartment Rent – $75 to $200/month ( Can’t avoid. More roommates less Rent)
- Electricity – $10 to $25/month
- Food – 150+/month (Depends on Eating Habits)
- Laptop – $450 – $1500 ( One time investment)
- Cell phone – $35 to $70(iPhone costs more, landline not required)
- Public transportation – $30 (usually for students its free )
- Books/Textbooks – $50 – $150 /quarter (Get books from friends or buy used books)
- Shopping/travel – $20 to $50/month ( It varies )
- Calling cards – $5 to $20/month (free – Skype, GTalk, )
- Car – $1500 – $3000 ( How to buy an used car )
- Car maintenance – $80 to $100 / month ( Includes – insurance, gas, service, parking)
- Gifts to GFs/BFs – Unlimited
How much did I spend while in School?
- Apartment Rent – $75 (yeah its just $75)
- Electricity – $10 – $15
- Food – $125/month
- Laptop – $1500 (Fujitsu Lifebook)
- Cell phone – $45 ( I got Cell phone almost towards the end of M.S.)
- Landline phone – $5
- Internet, Cable TV, Netflix – $15
- Books/Textbooks -I got most of books from friends/seniors
- Shopping/travel – $50 to $100/month ( It varies )
- Calling cards – $10 (Used Yahoo Messenger – Vocie chat)
- Car – $600 ( My first Car, shared the cost )
- Car maintenance – $50 ( $100/2 insurance, gas, service, parking)
- Gifts to GFs – $0 (Poor Me!!)
Next – Cost of Living in University of Southern California ( one of expensive places to live).