I came across this interesting personal experience of Jeff about How to get a job as Software Developer in less than six months.
Steps outlines below are specific to finding a job as Software Developer.
At end of this article, I have outline, how you can use this to How to Find Your Dream Job in Less than 6 Months.
Here is an overview about his experience from going to ZERO programming experience to Full time Ruby Developer in 6 months.
Get Software Developer Job
- Learning to Program
- Work your ass off
- Read a shit ton:
- Join your local ruby group:
- Write a ton of code:
- Make everything public
- Blog about your challenges
- Getting The Job
- Learn to speak like a programmer
- Cast a wide net:
- Don’t underestimate your value
He finished the article with following statements
Work hard, write a lot of code, be transparent and be enthusiastic.
In February 2012 I had never written a line of code. But, as of July 11, 2012 I am employed as a full-time Ruby Developer. You can do it too .
How you can benefit
Go read this experience and start a blog and broadcast your goal.
When you broadcast the goal, you will be held accountable for your actions and progress.
Here are few tips for you to get started.
- You follow exactly the same steps followed by him.
- You need motivation and drive to code every day.
- If you spend 30 minutes to 1 hour per day for just one semester, you can get good at any programming.
- Even if you are not from computer science background, you can learn to program the right way.
- Again, the challenge is to sticking to the plan.
- Remember 10,000 hour rules from the book Outliers – The Story of Success (Amazon).
No one is saying that it will be easy. But, if you put effort every day for first couple of weeks, you will form a habit.
Once you get past that threshold required to keep going. Learning to write good code will follow automatically.
Remember, I had ZERO blogging skills when I started this blog (25 Personal things about me).
So, when are you getting started with new habit formation?