Question from Abhishek.
I had been for following your blog for few months from now ..Its been really helpful to me.
I am an aspirant for Fall 2013. I have booked my exam date on 5th sept,2012. But I have an issue with my passport.
The address mentioned in it is of my college(since it was made through my university reference).
Is it very necessary to get the address changed?
I have two problems here:
- The passport office has change regulations now and this requires a reissue of passport. As you know its a tiresome and time consuming deal.
- My permanent address is in Patna, but i m currently working in Bangalore. I can hardly muster time in near future to go there and hang around there for few weeks to get my passport reissued(it requires submission of passport, a lot of forms to be filled up, police verification and lot more) Moreover I cant get holidays in near future from my company.
If its really necessary to change the address before appearing for visa interview, I can try doing that after I m done with my GRE and TOEFEL exams as well as applying to universities.
But there is another problem with that plan. I have been told from passport office that my passport number gets changed. I am not sure if the universities mention my passport number while sending acceptance letters or I-20.
If they do so and later on my number gets changed due to re-issuance of passport, will that be a problem while appearing for visa interviews? What if doubts about the authenticity of my profile is raised due to this change in number?..Please enlighten me with relevant solution to this..
GRE and Address in the Passport
According to ETS following you need to meet the following ID requirements
- All test takers are responsible for bringing valid and acceptable identification each time they report to a test center. It is your responsibility to ensure that your ID documents are up-to-date and available on the day of the test.
- For Test Takers in India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Nigeria - You MUST present a valid passport with your name, photograph and signature as your primary ID document. There are no exceptions to this policy.
It’s ok to have your old address in the passport.
I recommend you register for GRE using online registration. So, you can enter your current address without mistakes.
Do take TWO forms of ID. Passport is mandatory, if you are taking GRE in India.
The following ID documents are generally acceptable as supplemental ID:
- Government-issued ID card (including, but not limited to, those listed under Primary ID Documents)
- Student ID card
- Confirmation of identity letter from your educational institution. This letter must be typed or printed on the original letterhead of the educational institution you attend(ed) and, in addition to meeting all of the ID Document Requirements, must include your date of birth and the date issued. Additionally, a school official’s signature and the school seal must be present and both must overlap your photograph. Such letters are valid for only one year from the date issued.
If you have multiple firts or last name in your passport, then read this – How to register for GRE with multiple first or last names.