I created this 20 Step GRE Exam Study plan to help you get great GRE Score.
By combining this study plan along with New GRE Experiences shared by other test takers, you can create a powerful study plan.
Not having a GRE Exam study plan is preparing to fail.
- #1 Mistake – Don’t register for GRE and then start studying for the GRE exam.
Certain students lack motivation, so they register for GR first. Then use that as motivation factor to prepare for GRE.
If you lack motivation in first place to study for GRE, how can you expect to get motivated after you register for GRE?
Use the following GRE Exam study plan, make changes based on your preparation style.
GRE Study Plan
- First, you need to know your current skill level and how much you can score with the practice test.
- To determine your current skill level, take a practice test using Power Prep for GRE. Lets assume you got 900 in practice test.
- Next determine how much you want to score in GRE (Be Realistic).
- Your GRE Study plan will depend on the following
- Type of university you want to attend
- Score you want to get – Target Score.
- So, lets assume you decided on a Target Score of 1200. Next you have to plan your course of action to reach the target.
- Make a detailed note of your strengths and weakness from the practice test. To improve your scores, you have to work on your weakness.
- Determine your learning style.
- Would you like to spend fixed time every day
- like to work with another friend preparing for exams
- Spend fixed time 2 days in a week, ..
- To reach the target score of 1200 in GRE Test, amount of time you have to spend has to be calculated based on
- your learning style
- time you plan to spend daily
- University deadlines
- when you plan to write GRE [ How to Register for GRE]
- If you have only 2 months and I need to score 1200 and can spend only 1 hour per week, then you can expect to score in GRE between 900 to 1000.
- GRE Study Materials: Make sure you have enough and right test preparation materials. If you plan to study for 3 months, then you need to have study materials for 3 months.
- Have a notebook to track your performance.
- Spend allocated according to the plan. Work on your weak areas ( Verbal Words, Maths Algebra,..).
- After completing the GRE practice test, make sure you spend more time analysis the mistakes. If you spent 2 hours taking the test, spend atleast 3 hours to analyze the mistakes. Instead if you spend 30 mins to just see the right answers, you are not improving your weak areas.
- Make a note of the mistakes you made and revise them weekly. So, you will not repeat the same mistakes again.
- Don’t forget to spend time to practice tests in strong areas of GRE Test.
- You need to have checkpoints to track your progress. If you have 4 months to study and need to improve 200 points, then every month your score has to improve towards the target score.
- By end of 2 months if you are still scoring 900, then you have to blame yourself. Go back to the study plan and see if you are really followed the plan or just being ad-hoc and not self-disciplined enough to follow the plan.
- If you learned new strategies for a section, during practice tests, you have to get the right answers. If you spent 1 week to improve on a section and then end up getting many incorrect answers, then you just wasted 1 week of your preparation time.
- For Example if you are weak in GRE Reading Comprehension and you spent 1 week in learning new strategies and if you still get it wrong, then try new strategies. Solve 25 RC’s per day. Live and sleep RC’s, you will get good at solving RC’s
- You MUST stick to your study plan and follow it strictly. You need to have self-discipline to follow the GRE Study plan.
Your GRE Study Plan
If you are in the process of preparing for GRE, post your plan and get inputs from other readers, if you have right target and enough time to reach the target GRE Score.
What differentiates from people who just have BIG dreams and Achievers?
You might get a tempting invite from friends to go to movie, during your study time and you will decide – “I will go to movies and will make it up next day”. If you can really make it up, then you are good to enjoy the time.
If not, you can just yourself as Just another loser, who is not going to be successful in getting high GRE Score.
Don’t expect your GRE Scores to improve overnight. It takes time and effort.