Majority of the students applying for M.S. Degree ( computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical, Civil, Biology, Biotechnology, Bio-informatics, ….) write general statement of purpose for Grad School Application. But, top ranks schools, specify the Essay Topics. So, it will be easy to evaluate the applicants. Harvard Business School have posted the Essay Topics for the Class of 2012.
- What are your three most substantial accomplishments and why do you view them as such? (600-word limit)
- What have you learned from a mistake? (400-word limit)
- Please respond to two of the following (400-word limit each):
- What would you like the MBA Admissions Board to know about your undergraduate academic experience?
- Discuss how you have engaged with a community or organization.
- Tell us about a time when you made a difficult decision.
- Write a cover letter to your application introducing yourself to the Admissions Board.
- What is your career vision and why is this choice meaningful to you?
Joint degree applicants
- How do you expect the joint degree experience to benefit you on both a professional and a personal level? (400-word limit)
Word Limit on Essay
Did you note that there is a word limit (400 to 600) on essays? So, if you cannot express yourself within the required limit, chances of getting admission will be reduced substantially. But, some school don’t follow that in strict sense, but if they have word limit on essay or page limit, make sure you adhere to that.
During our SOP review, we have seen 3 to 4 page SOP’s with single line spacing. Reducing 4 page SOP to 2 pages with 1.5 line spacing takes lot of time. We had advised those students to make necessary changes.