Universities have started updating admisison requirements page with minimum New GRE score for grad school admission.
We have looked at Minimum Revised GRE fro Illinois Institute of Technology.
In addition to IIT, Chicago, several universities have updated Minimum New GRE Score for MS and PhD in Computer Science are listed below.
Following list would give an idea about minimum GRE score requirement for Computer Science and Electrical Engineering.
This is how I would use the minimum requirements the following data
- Check if Minimum GRE for New Scores have changed with respect to University requirements.
- Remember 800 in Old GRE Quantitative equals to 166 in New GRE Format.
- Check if that conversion is reflected in the minimum requirements.
Also, use the following list of universities for your consideration. You might not have heard about some of the universities, visit respective websites to explore their Computer Science and Electrical Engineering programs.
Post you GRE Score and university you are planning to attend, I will try to answer few of your questions.
- New GRE Verbal Score
- New GRE Quantitative
- Analytical Writing
- Universities List
Update – Comment section on this post is closed.
University of Illinois at Chicago
Department of Computer Science
Master of Science (MS) program
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or a degree in a related area with substantial coursework in Computer Science
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- A total score of 1200 or above on the GRE General Exam (500+ verbal, 700+ quantitative, and 4.5+/6.0 analytical.) For the new GRE scoring system instituted 2011, a combined total of 308 (153+ verbal, 155+ quantitative, and 4.5/6.0 analytical.)
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program
- A Master of Science degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or a graduate degree in a related area with substantial coursework in Computer Science, with a superior academic or professional record with demonstrated ability to pursue individual research investigation
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- A total score of 1200 or above on the GRE General Exam (500+ verbal, 700+ quantitative, and 4.5+/6.0 analytical.)
- For the new GRE scoring system a combined total of 308 (153+ verbal, 155+ quantitative, and 4.5/6.0 analytical.)
University of Delaware
MS in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- The minimum GRE score required is 150 for the quantitative section with a combined total of 300 for the verbal and quantitative sections (for the new test).
- Old GRE scores : Minimum requirement is 600 for the quantitative section with a combined total of 1050 for the verbal and quantitative sections.
(International applicants with low verbal scores will be considered if the applicant’s TOEFL score is acceptable and quantitative GRE score is high.)
- International applicants that have not graduated from a US institution must have minimum TOEFL scores of 550/79 (PBT/IBT) for admission and 600/100 (PBT/IBT) for consideration as a Teaching Assistant (TA).
- An alternative to the TOEFL test is IELTS (International English Language Testing System). The minimum requirement is 6.5 for admissions and 7.5 for a teaching assistantship.
Direct PhD :
- Those applying to the Ph.D. program who have not previously earned an MS degree may earn the MSECE en route to the Ph.D. or proceed directly to the Ph.D
Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
PhD in Computer Science
- International students must submit a TOEFL score or an IELTS. Applicants should have a minimum TOEFL score: 550 (paper), 213 (computer), 80 (iBT); or minimum IELTS score 6.5.
- A master’s degree in computer science or a related field with a minimum GPA of 3.25/4.0.
A minimum GRE score of 700 for the Quantitative (Revised General Test score of 155) and 4.0 for Analytical writing scores for the general GRE, and it is recommended that results from the GRE subject area in computer science or a related area be included.
- This is also required for any campus fellowship applications or those seeking future departmental or university funding.
Ohio State University
M.S. Computer Science
Autumn quarter is our primary quarter for graduate admissions; international applicants will be considered only for Autumn admission. In addition to a strong computer science background, a student will be considered for admission with:
- GPA minimum 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- TOEFL (when required) minimum 550
- GRE Verbal minimum 500 (153 new), Quantitative minimum 700 (155 new), Analytical minimum 4 (new format)
- GRE CS subject test is strongly recommended for those whose undergraduate degree is not in computer science
For admission in all other quarters, only domestic applicants will be considered. More stringent objective criteria are in force:
- GPA minimum 3.5 (on a 4.0 scale)
- GRE Verbal minimum 650 (163 new), Quantitative minimum 700 (159 new), Analytical minimum 5 (new format)
University of Massachusetts Amherst
- The GRE test is required. The subject test is strongly encouraged by the Computer Science Department
- Although standardized tests are by no means the only criteria considered, historically successful applicants average 600+/4.0 in each of the three areas (verbal, quantitative, written). Based on the new scale we expect the average would be 160+ (verbal), 155+ (Quantitative), 4.0 (Written).
- GRE’s can be retaken. Your new score will be added to the old score you’ve previously submitted. Both scores will be included in your application.
Florida Atlantic University
Master of Science with Major in Computer Science with or without thesis (M.S.) Admission Requirements
- At least 3.0 (of a 4.0 maximum) GPA (Grade Point Average) in the last 60 credits attempted prior to graduation.
- A minimum GRE score of 150 on the quantitative, and 145 on the verbal. GRE scores more than five years old will not be accepted.
Montana State University
Graduate School Admission Requirements
- 450 (Old GRE) or
- 150 (New GRE)
- 650 (Old GRE) or
- 151 (New GRE)
- Analytical Writing : 3.5 (Old and New GRE)
- TOEFL 80/213/550 (Paper)
University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
MS – Computer Science
- Computer Science Department, the GRE is required with a score of at least 157 (new scoring criteria) or 600 (old scoring criteria) on the quantitative portion;
- Electrical & Computer Engineering Department, the GRE is required with a minimum of 1200 combined score on verbal and quantitative; for the Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Department, the GRE is required
- TOEFL or IELTS: TOEFL score – 550-600 on paper-based examination, 213-250 on the computer-based exam, or 79-80 on the internet-based exam; IELTS score – 6 or higher.