Received an interesting Question from Hardik Jogi through email about Financial Aid and PhD
One of my friend studying in uc berkeley in phd studies as intenational students said that ‘ international students admitted in phd studies are fully funded by respective department ( he is in computer science ) of uc berkeley and also stipend of $20000 is given for living expenses/year. Is it true ? also if yes then please provide me reqd. to take admission in phd studies at ucb. ( i am in 4th year of my bachelor studies in engineering )
What your friend says is 100% correct. But, some students don’t get Stipend, but just Research Assistant (RA) or Teaching Assistant (TA) position, which comes with In state tuition fees.
Both RA and TA will pay from $500 to $1500 per month. Which is huge money for a student lifestyle.
How to Get into UC Berkeley?
You would need to have a profile that looks similar to your friend to get into UC Berkeley or something that looks like this
- 1300+ in GRE
- 90+ in TOEFL
- Research Experience in Bachelor’s
- Few Paper Presentations in good conferences
- Recommendation letter from well renowned professors or Industry experts
- Maybe degree from IIT, NIT will make things much easier
- Very good technical skills
- Lots of interest to study, than just getting financial aid.
- PhD is 4 to 5 years of dedication to research.
If you are planning to apply for PhD because you will get Financial Aid, that’s foolish thing one can do. If you have that urge to get Doctorate degree, then go for it.
Image Credit - clickykbd