Generally speaking students are bit fuzzy about Graduate Programs offered in US in the field of Pharmacy.
This article will give you an overview of pharmacy degree programs offered in US Universities.
Pharmacy Degrees in US
Following degrees options are available in US
- PharmD – The doctor of pharmacy is for those who want to become a pharmacist. The PharmD is a professional degree similar to the doctor of medicine (MD) for physicians or a doctor of dental surgery (DDS) for dentists.
- 2 years of Pre-requesite courses and 4 years to complete PharmD
- Complete Pharmacy College Admissions Test (PCAT).
- Must take licensure exam to be a Pharmasist
- PhD in Pharmacy – The PhD in pharmaceutical sciences program prepares tomorrow’s scientists for basic or clinical research. Our PhD program has four multidisciplinary concentrations that reflect our collaborative approach to science.
- MS in Pharmacy – master of science in health system pharmacy, which prepares pharmacists for leadership positions in health care.
- Residency Program – Pharmacy Residency is education a pharmacist can pursue beyond a PharmD.
PharmD Dual Degree Programs
- Doctor of Pharmacy/Master of Public Health
- PharmD is a 4 year professional degree. If you are looking to get a job as Pharmacist after completing the degree and license exams.
- You can work in retail pharmacy stores, hospital pharmacy, specialist pharmacy settings.
- Admission to PharmD requires basic courses related to science.
- PCAT is usually required.
- Even if you have completed Bachelors degree, PharmD will take 4 years to complete.
PhD in Pharmacy
- If you plan to work in research scientist in pharmacy or like to teach then go for PhD.
- Schools offer Pharmd and PhD Dual degree option.
- GRE is required for admission.
Graduate Degrees in Pharmacy
For following are Masters program available in the filed of Pharmacy, you will be required to take GRE, TOEFL exams.
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Pharmacology and Toxicology [ 30 Universities for Masters in Pharmacology]
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Pharmacy Administration
- Nuclear Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical Outcomes and Policy
- Forensic Science Programs
- Forensic Toxicology
- Forensic Drug Chemistry MS
- Forensic DNA & Serology MS
- Forensic Science MS
Pharmacist are paid well in USA. If you have background in Pharmacy, you should consider completing Graduate degree, license from USA.
Entry level salary for Pharmacist is around 80,000 per year. You don’t get that kind of salary in any other fields (maybe Doctor, nursing, attorney)
Jobs for Pharmacists
After you complete graduate degree in pharmacy, you can apply for following jobs
- Clinical Pharmacist
- Pharmacist in Charge
- Hospital Staff Pharmacist
- Hospital Pharmacy Director
- Retail Staff Pharmacist
Companies like CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid pharmacy hire and sponsor H1B Visa.