Greetings from Vaidy. I would like to share my TOEFL test strategies. I took TOEFL during September. I went to center with a clear mind and peace, but no preparation. I managed scoring only 94.
I will be taking GRE on November 17, 2010. Please let me know if I should retake TOEFL once again. I am planning to apply for MS in Aerospace engineering or Electrical engineering in Georgia Tech, Fall 11.
I felt the below things are more important to shine in TOEFL.
- Patience (Since the exam is very lengthy). Also some test centers make you wait for a long. My appointment was scheduled at 10 AM. I kept waiting. I was allotted a system at 12 PM. I lost my patience there. So , please ensure that you don’t lose your focus.
- To improve your English (Listening and speaking), keep watching CNN, BBC, NDTV news channels and listen to cricket commentary. I did this during my schooling. Talk to yourself in English looking at the mirror.
- Try reading Newspaper daily (Word by word, not the headlines alone).
- Whenever you communicate through SMS, Mail etc try to use English professionally. ( Avoid using U instead of you, what doing instead of what are you doing).
- One cannot develop English all of the sudden. Its a gradual progress. Since I was in CBSE school (English medium), It was little easy for me. I also did many presentations, seminars and promo events. That helped me a lot.
- Take a practice test before you schedule a date and see where you stand. (Which I didn’t do).
- Speaking section requires clarity and projection of your view. You don’t have to be bombastic with your words.
- Be confident and dream a lot. Sometime this works out. Bring all your positive energies to your thoughts and it will make you succeed.
- Read TOEFL Study Guide for more TOEFL Strategies.
Lessons learned: TOEFL Test
- Never take anything light though it may be easy. Nobody knows how things will change. We could see Bangladesh wrapping up the ODI series against New Zealand which nobody expected.
- Never lose your focus and calmness which plays an important role in your scoring.
I am now preparing for GRE. I am using following GRE books
- Nova for Maths
- Barrons/Nova for Verbal
I got Q 700, V340 in my first practice test. I have only 20 days to go. Please do suggest me some tips to score 1200. My strength has always been Quants. Q800 +V400 is possible but I am not able to attain the perfection in Quants.
My acclauds to HSB.
Note – 94 in TOEFL is good scoe, you don’t need to re-take TOEFL. Also, test strategies you have listed is very useful. Thanks for sharing with HSB readers. Since Vaidy shared his TOEFL experience, I gave a free review of his Statement of Purpose.
There is no short cut to raise your GRE score in 20 days. Try your best, increase your practice tests and spend more time learning strategies for Verbal section.