According to recent survey from ComputerWorld of IT leaders, here are the top 10 skills that will be in demand in 2013.
- Programming and Application Development
- Project Management
- Help Desk/Technical Support
- Business Intelligence/Analytics
- Mobile Applications and Device Management
- Data Center
About 60% plan to hire Programming and Application development workers in the next 12 months.
What does this mean to students who will be graduating from college in next 12 month?
- Pick one IT Skill, that you already have done projects or taken courses.
- Spend ton of time improving your skills
- Read research papers
- Take courses
- Publish new paper
- Do a project
- Take Certifications
- Join Google Groups and relevant forums and contribute actively
If you are looking for Computer Science specialization for Masters program, now you have list of 10 different areas to choose from.
Project management is something you gain from Experience, rest of the IT skills can be self-taught or through projects and internships.
One of the biggest mistake is not knowing what kind of job you want. If you are looking for job in IT field, pick up a specific area and get good at it.